Research governance applies to everyone connected to clinical research, whether as a chief investigator, care professional, researcher, their employer(s) or support staff.
Clinical research is any health-related research that involves humans, their tissue and/or data
Why do we need it?
Research governance is needed to:
- safeguard participants in research
- protect researchers/investigators (by providing a clear framework within which to work)
- enhance ethical and scientific quality
- mitigate risk
- monitor practice and performance
- promote good practice and ensure that lessons are learned