The Academy of Medical Sciences (AMS) Springboard Award aims to launch the research careers of biomedical researchers at the start of their first independent post.
The University may make four nominations for Round 8 of the AMS Springboard Award. The award provides funding of up to £100,000 over two years from March 2023 to support research costs (excluding applicant salary) and professional development. The award also gives access to the Academy’s mentoring and career development programme.
Internal applications are invited, from which the University will select up to four nominations to go forward to the AMS. Researchers may self-nominate for this prize, but please note you may only do so with the support of your Line Manager and Head of Department.
How to apply
Internal applications must be submitted via the IRAMS online application system by 12 noon on Tuesday 19 April 2022. Departmental Approver sign-off must also be provided in IRAMS. To apply, please upload the completed Internal Nomination Form (Case for Support Template) and a CV describing your career history (key publications, grants awarded as PI/Co-I, prizes, memberships, teaching, etc.) as a single PDF.
- hold a salaried position with the University that incorporates research, and have sufficient time remaining on their contract to complete the proposed Springboard project
- be in their first independent position (group-leader level, line managed not supervised) and have been appointed within the last 5 years (FTE – exceptions made for career breaks) – sideways moves between institutions to posts at the same level of seniority are accepted, as long as you started your first independent post within the last 5 years
Applicants must not:
- hold any kind of clinical contract for the duration of the award
- be in receipt of other substantial research funding as the principal or co-investigator, defined as more than £150,000 over the two year Springboard award (excluding your personal salary and overheads)
- have already secured a significant fellowship, for example an MRC Career Development Award, UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship or Sir Henry Dale Fellowship
If you are unsure if you are eligible, please send your CV and a summary of the potential issue you have identified to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and before submitting your internal application. The Medical Sciences Divisional Office will seek guidance from the AMS as needed.
The Medical Sciences Divisional Office will notify all applicants of the outcomes, and nominate candidates to the AMS, on or around 3 May 2022. The AMS will make the full application form available to the successful candidates in the online Flexi-Grant portal on 7 May 2021. Applications must be submitted to Research Services on 9 June 2022 at the latest, to meet the AMS submission deadline on 16 June 2022.
On the AMS site is a document of FAQs for Round 8 which we encourage all applicants to read through.
Please direct questions to email@example.com