The Leverhulme Trust has invited bids for funding to establish a Leverhulme Research Centre.
Each university is permitted to submit only one bid as the principal applicant. Research Services is coordinating the internal peer review process by which the application from Oxford will be selected. (There is no restriction on Oxford’s involvement in collaborative bids where Oxford is not the lead.)
Expression of interest for internal peer review
The EoI should consist of a Word document of up to 5 sides of A4 which:
A. addresses how the proposed centre would meet the following five criteria:
- conduct research of outstanding originality to achieve a significant step-change in scholarship
- apply new approaches that may establish or reshape a field of study
- transform our understanding of a topic of a significant contemporary topic
- pan-disciplinary and/or draws upon new disciplinary mixes to bear on the topic
- build an internationally recognised centre of research excellence
B. covers the following points, plus any additional relevant information:
- title of the proposed centre in the form 'Leverhulme Centre for…'
- the structure of the centre, ie whether single centre, multi-centre, hub and spoke, including details of key staff and institutions involved and rationale for their participation in the work of the centre
- how the centre will fit with the strategic priorities of the host department and the relevant division, including any available support
- the justification for the choice of the principal applicant to take both intellectual and organisational leadership
- an outline of the resources sought and period of funding (up to £1m per annum for 5–10 years)
- an indicative timetable for research and milestones
- an indicative plan of how the centre will seek additional concurrent support and, if required, be sustained after the Leverhulme funding has finished
Internal peer review timetable
- EoIs for the internal review process to be submitted by email to email@example.com by noon on Friday 20 October 2017. Please keep your departmental research administrators informed in accordance with your usual procedures.
- The peer review panel will include representatives from all four divisions and will be chaired by the Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research.
- All applicants will be informed of the panel’s decision by Monday 6 November 2017.
- The selected applicant may modify their EoI in view of any comments made by the panel and will submit the final application to Research Services by 2 January 2018 for submission to the Leverhulme Trust before the funder's deadline on 9 January. Please see the Leverhulme Trust website for further details on the application procedure and to download a copy of the application form.
Any queries regarding the process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org