BBSRC ALERT mid-range equipment for biosciences research scheme
BBSRC have launched the 2021 round of their ALERT ‘mid-range equipment for biosciences research’ scheme.
Whilst there is no cap on number of applications per institution, the guidance encourages institutions to discuss and prioritise submissions. To that end we will run a light touch process to ensure that multiple bid teams do not submit applications asking for the same capabilities. Where duplications are found, bid teams will be asked to work together where possible. We are not putting in place our own cap on numbers, simply checking fit to the scheme and ensuring no duplications are submitted to BBSRC.
Those wishing to apply should provide the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Tuesday 2 November 2021:
- PI (including host department)
- Co-Is (including host departments)
- item – name and specific model (if relevant) of the item of equipment
- description – briefly describe the item of equipment and its primary functions
- cost of the equipment
Outline of call
The ALERT 2021 call aims to fund equipment costing greater than £200,000 (including VAT) that:
- is widely used and underpins capability across all scientific areas within BBSRC remit
- enables the use of emerging advanced research technology or utilisation of equipment in new ways of working
- promotes collaboration and equipment access between users within industry, public sector and other institutes
The BBSRC deadline for applications is 4pm on Thursday 25 November 2021.
Only one piece of capital equipment may be funded, although this can include equipment that requires assembly or involves several components provided they constitute a single technology platform.
In a large multi-component application that is otherwise in scope, one or more small components costing under £10,000 can be supported, but these must be from the same supplier so that they can come together as one invoice.
All equipment must be on the market at the time of the opportunity closing date.
Host contributions towards the purchase of equipment are not mandatory.
The indicative capital budget for ALERT 2021 is approximately £10 million.
Applications may seek the cost of capital equipment over £200,000, including VAT.
Costs such as installation or service maintenance contracts can be included if they are one-off costs and part of the manufacturer’s offer.