REF Project Board
Terms of reference and membership
The REF Project Board is a sub-committee of the University’s Research & Innovation Committee, whose terms of reference and membership has been revised following the results of REF 2021. The updated terms of reference and membership were approved by the Research and Innovation Committee on 22 October 2022.
REF Project Board: Terms of Reference
The REF Project Board will report in an advisory capacity to Research & Innovation Committee on the following:
- Strategic overview of the timetable and preparations for all elements of the REF submission, including oversight of risks related to the project.
- Appropriate strategies and policies relating to the REF submission.
- Progress against fulfilling the Funding Councils’ requirements for the REF submission, including equality considerations and compliance with data requirements, and agreement and implementation of the REF Code of Practice across the University.
- Undertake a “lessons learned” programme following publication of the REF results, and oversee actions to improve preparedness for future research assessment exercises, including a greater emphasis on data informed decision-making.
In addition to the strategic tasks listed above the Board will:
- Provide a forum to discuss issues arising within Units of Assessment and divisions during REF preparations, to agree optimum approaches, and to involve all relevant parts of the Collegiate university.
- Agree principles and practices relating to communications on the future REF to ensure academic staff remain aware of REF requirements.
- Recommend to Research & Innovation Committee the resourcing needed to support the future REF exercise and any changes, reflecting the lessons learned and the needs of departments, divisions, Research Services and other relevant functions.
|Professor Patrick Grant||Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) who shall chair REF Project Board|
Professor Heidi Johansen-Berg
Academic REF lead for Medical Sciences Division
Professor Laura Herz
Academic REF lead for Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division
Professor Heather Viles
Academic REF lead for Social Sciences Division
Professor Daniel Grimley
Professor Abigail Williams
Academic REF lead for Humanities Division (also Deputy Chair of REF Project Board)
|Professor Sir John Vickers||Conference of Colleges representative|
|TBC||Research & Innovation Committee representative|
|Professor Paul Smith||Gardens, Libraries and Museums representative|
|Professor Tom Buchanan||Department for Continuing Education representative|
Professor Helen Small
|Panel members from previous REF exercises invited by the Board|
|Dr Stephen Conway||Director of Research Services, senior officer with responsibility for REF|
Dr Anne Mortimer, Research Evaluation Manager, and Secretary to the Board
Dr Eugenio Barrio, Research Information Manager
Dr Tanita Casci, Director, Research Strategy and Policy Unit (RSPU)
Ms Arija Crux, RSPU administrator and note taker
Ms Adrienne Hopkins, Head of Equality and Diversity
Ms Ruth Kinahan, Deputy Director, Personnel Services
Ms Mandy Zaccheo, Head of HR Information
Ms Leila Whitworth, MSD
Dr Keri Dexter, Ms Rosie Collins (on parental leave), Dr Irene Scullion, MPLS
Dr Sam Sneddon, SSD
Dr Michele Warren, Humanities
Ms Judith Finch, Conference of Colleges
Dr Harriet Warburton, GLAM
Ms Amy Warner May, Bodleian Libraries staff member (to improve links to OASG)
TBC, A iTransform project representative
- Anne Mortimer (Secretary)