Facilitating world-class research
Please note that any breach of the terms and conditions listed below will be regarded as a serious disciplinary matter.
In addition, any failure to comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act may render the University, or in certain circumstances the user, liable to prosecution, as well as giving rise to civil liabilities.
The University is entitled to suspend or remove your access to SE for any breach of this agreement.
The 'user' in this instance refers to those in the role of Operational User and those accessing the system via an Application Programming Interface (API).
1. The User shall use the data held in SE only for the purpose of research administration, in accordance with the role assigned to him or her by his or her department or division.
2. Research Services retains the right to reuse the information within the system, for training, documentation and reporting purposes without explicit consent from account holders.
3. The User shall process any personal data (including any sensitive personal data) held in Symplectic Elements in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the University’s data protection policy and guidelines from time to time in force.
4. The User shall not disclose (verbally or in writing) any data held in SE to any unauthorised person. Unauthorised persons may include colleagues and other staff of the University, including other Symplectic Elements users who may not have authority to access particular types of data. Data shall be disclosed only to those with a legitimate need to use it
5. Authorised (by Symplectic Elements at Oxford) users of the Symplectic Application Programming Interface (API) are permitted to list the publications of University researchers on public-facing departmental (or sub-unit) websites where they have been authorised to do so by the department in question.
6. In handling the data held in SE, the User shall comply with the University’s Information Security policy.
7. The User shall not release his or her access password or log-in details to any other person and must take all reasonable steps to ensure that these details remain confidential and secure at all times.
8. Any data saved from the system (whether in electronic or printed form) shall be held in a secure and confidential manner and shall be held only for as long as it is needed for SE / research administration purposes.
9. If data is downloaded to a laptop or other portable device, the device shall be encrypted.
10. If leaving his or her desk, the User shall log out of Symplectic Elements or lock his or her computer.
11. If accessing SE remotely (i.e. away from his or her work place), the User shall ensure that data displayed on the screen is not visible to unauthorised persons.
12. The User shall immediately notify the Symplectic Elements Helpdesk if he or she becomes aware of any unauthorised use of Symplectic Elements or its data or if any of the data is lost or destroyed or becomes damaged, corrupted or unusable (whether due to the User’s use of the system or otherwise).
LOG IN TO SYMPLECTIC