The British Heart Foundation uses an online Grants Management System (GMS) to apply for all fellowship, project, programme, special project, clinical study and New Horizons grants.
Please note that the GMS currently only works in Internet Explorer and Safari. It does not currently work in Firefox
Applications must be received by Research Services five working days before the deadline.
Please note that Research Services cannot submit applications after 5pm regardless of the deadline set by the funder.
The PI needs to log in and complete four sections:
1. Additional stakeholders. If there are stakeholders such as a co-investigator or collaborators they need to be indicated on the form via the radio button.
2. Head of department. The PI needs to enter the head of department’s details. It is important the email address is entered correctly as this is how the email alert system works to progress the application to the next stage. If there are errors in the email addresses (eg Anthony instead of Antony) the submission process fails and has to be restarted. For the institute section, use the drop down arrow and select University of Oxford.
3. Administrative authority (Research Services). The PI needs to enter the administrative authority details. The email address for Research Services will be either:
- firstname.lastname@example.org for the Medical Sciences Division team (account owner will be Julie Matthews), or
- email@example.com for the Science Area Division team (account name will be Research Services Science Area; account owner will be Daniel Blakey).
- If unsure please contact Research Services.
4. Payee institute details. Use the drop down arrow and select University of Oxford.
Once the online form is complete the application and any related documents will need to be uploaded to the account (see the GMS User Guide for instructions on how to upload documents).
When the documents have been uploaded the PI should submit the document. The co-applicants will then need to approve their involvement and then the electronic application will pass to the head of department for approval.
Important: If the application is rejected at any stage (by co-applicant, head of department or the administrative authority) the PI will need to amend and edit the form and will have to restart the approval process from the beginning.
The head of department will receive an email notification alerting them that an application is awaiting their approval. They will need to log on to the GMS system to review the application.
The head of department then submits the application to Research Services five working days before the deadline. This is done by pressing the 'submit' option on the form, which will trigger an email to the administrative authority (Research Services).
The department must submit the X5 costing five working days before the deadline to Research Services.
Research Services will check the application within five working days and will notify the PI of any amendments that are required or recommended. If any changes are required Research Services will reject the application back to the PI.
NB: Research Services does not review grant applications under £100k or fellowships under £1 million unless requested by the department. See the application process overview for further details.
If an application is rejected the status changes to 'reject' in the PI's 'my application' page.
The PI (and only the PI) must then re-edit the application and restart the approval process (see Step 3).
Once the head of department has submitted the application, Research Services (as the administrative authority) will receive an email alert so they can review the completed application.
Research Services will re-check the amended application and arrange for an authorised signatory to submit the final application to the BHF.
Please note that Research Services can't submit applications after 5pm regardless of the deadline set by the funder.
Once the application form has been sumitted to BHF by the administrative authority (Research Services) the PI will be sent an email advising them that the application has been received.
Please note that preliminary or outline applications are not routed via Research Services on GMS and go straight to the British Heart Foundation. The outline application must be fully approved before the PI submits the preliminary application on GMS.
All preliminary applications require departmental approval and a PDF of the completed application will need to be provided to the department before submission.
For applications that need Research Services' review a PDF of the completed application and X5 outline costing will need to be provided to Research Services before submission. Research Services will then advise the PI when the application can be submitted on GMS to the British Heart Foundation. The completed application must be submitted to Research Services for institutional approval five working days before the deadline.
NB: Research Services do not review grant applications under £100k or fellowships under £1 million unless requested by the department. See the application process overview for further details.