Where to submit for ethics approval

Click on the relevant area of the chart for more information

Research ethicsSponsorshipNHS RESCURECHRACAGMRHAtrust

Expand All

  • clinical trial (CTIMP) or administration of an unlicensed drug
  • ionising radiation
  • tissue samples (containing cells) used in research at any time or in storage for more than 7 days before transportation and rendering acellular
  • adults lacking capacity to consent
  • use of certain medical devices
  • participants recruited by virtue of being UK National Health Service (NHS) patients
  1. Clinical Trials and Research Governance (CTRG) for University sponsorship
  2. NHS Research Ethics Service
  3. HRA approval (if required)
  4. CAG approval (if required)
  5. MHRA approval (if required)
  6. Local NHS trust confirmation (if required)

Staff are people recruited to research by virtue of their status as current or former employees of the NHS

2 Data means data generated by an NHS clinical service, or held in NHS databases or behind NHS firewalls, or owned by the NHS in any other capacity.
It does not matter whether the data hold identifying personal information or whether they are anonymised. 


If your research involves the use of patient-identifiable information without consent, you will need to apply to the HRA Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG). Applications can be made via the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) application process.