A sponsor is required for all clinical research.
The sponsor's role is to:
- take legal responsibility for initiating and managing the study
- provide insurance for the study
The sponsor is not necessarily the funder and many funding bodies are unable to provide sponsorship.
Research involving any the following will need to be referred:
- children under 5 years old
- investigation of processes of conception/contraception
- participants who are pregnant
- participants from outside the UK
- administration of drug/device/vaccine which has been designed, developed or manufactured by the University
- any genetically engineered product
CTRG will liaise with the insurance officer to determine whether cover can be arranged and, if so, any potential cost.